by Anna Fletcher
Most everyone will agree that a 24-pack makes every bonfire and camping trip 300% better. After you finish the delicious campfire dinner, it’s fantastic to kick back in your hammock and sip on a cold one. And as always, don’t forget to recycle your empty cans!!
Today, we appreciate aluminum recycling and the benefits that it has for us, our economy and our environment. Happy Crush a Can Day everyone!!
Here are some super awesome facts about aluminum recycling!
- Aluminum is the most abundant metal on earth – only oxygen and silicon are more abundant.
- Aluminum is strong, corrosion-resistant, nonmagnetic and nontoxic.
- Four 6-packs of aluminum canned drinks can support the weight of a 4-ton aluminum car!
- Aluminum cans are 100% recyclable.
- Over the past 10 years, the number of aluminum cans recycled has doubled.
- There is no limit on how many times aluminum cans can be recycled. If we recycled all of our aluminum all the time, we’d never have to make more.
- An average of 113,204 aluminum cans are recycled every minute.
- Aluminum is four times more valuable than other recycled consumer materials.
- 97% of all beverage cans are made of aluminum.
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to power your TV for three hours, play an entire album on your iPod or burn a 100-watt bulb for four hours.
- Making an aluminum can from recycled aluminum requires 95% less energy than making one from raw Bauxite ore.
- The printing ink on aluminum cans is water-soluble and non-toxic.
- Because it is durable, reusable, and sustainable, 2/3 of the aluminum ever produced is still used today.
- A recycled aluminum can is collected, smelted, rolled, manufactured and back on the shelf in only 60 days.
- The average aluminum can contains more than 50% consumer-recycled aluminum.
- One ton of recycled aluminum saves 1,663 gallons of oil.
- Charities like Habitat for Humanity and the Boy Scouts recycle aluminum cans to help build more homes and earn money for local programs.
- If every American recycled their aluminum cans for three months, an entire commercial air fleet could be rebuilt out of that recycled aluminum.
- Aluminum cans melt and cool fast, making them energy efficient.
- According to EPA estimates, aluminum cans account for less than 1% of US total waste stream because so many are recycled.
- Twenty years ago, a pound of aluminum made about 20 cans. Today, a pound of aluminum can make 30!
- Cans aren’t the only things that can be recycled! Other recyclable aluminum products are gutters, food trays, storm windows, foil and automotive components.
- Tons of reusable water bottles are made from 100% recycled aluminum. Check out ENO’s Liberty Water bottles!