Whether it’s a tree, signpost, between two skyscrapers, or anywhere else,you can put up a hammock, it’s essential to learn how to tie it up. Sure you can use several knots, even the ol’ bunny ears might work once in awhile, but chances are that sooner or later, it will come undone at the most unpleasant of times. Well actually any time a knot comes undone is unpleasant, if you aren’t ready for it!
There are step-by-step instructions below the video as well:
- Make a bend (bight) with the rope by bending the rope on itself.
- Bend the loop over itself at 90 degrees.
- Pull the loop behind the underlying rope.
- Pull the loop through the newly-made hole and tighten.
- Now you should have a knot with a loop on one end. With that end facing away from your tree, signpost, etc, wrap the free end of rope around the tree, coming back across over your knot.
- Take the end underneath and back over, forming a knot that should have the free end facing the same way as before you wrapped it around the tree.
- Continue this process for as many times as you see fit.
- On the last time through, pull the end through the eye-hole created by looping around itself.